“I have an affection for a great city. I feel safe in the neighborhood of man, and enjoy the sweet security of the streets." -Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Monday, January 18, 2010

Well this is the beginning

So, I have decided to attempt to blog. I am not exactly sure why this sounded like a good idea but I thought it could be a bit of a creative outlet. I suppose I should start by sharing a bit about myself. I am the associate minister in a medium sized Methodist church. I grew up in Montgomery, attended Auburn University (WAR EAGLE!), and recently received my masters from Emory. I loved living in Atlanta for three years. When I moved into my house off Lavista Road, there was a goat in my neighborhood. Yes, you read that correctly. A Goat! At that point I decided that Atlanta could not be that much different than Auburn, Alabama and realized the city and I would become good friends; which we did. I adore the city.... really any city. I do not mind the traffic and normally realize if I am stuck in a jam, it is the result of poor planning on my part. I am not a fan of the smog (who is?), but I think that Piedmont Park is an adequate exchange. I love the shopping, oodles of local restaurants, cheap and readily available organic food, and my deep friendships. Nonetheless God called be back home. So, here I am, serving a wonderful church in a somewhat small town trying to be a suburbia. Not exactly the one of the funky areas in Atlanta that I adore, but it is a great community and I am learning more than I ever expected.

Since today is Martin Luther King, Jr. Day I want to end with this quote.
"Human progress is neither automatic nor inevitable... Every step toward the goal of justice requires sacrifice, suffering, and struggle; the tireless exertions and passionate concern of dedicated individuals"

As I society, I realize we are still continuing Dr. Kings work toward the goal of justice. I hope we are all "dedicated individuals."

No comments:

Post a Comment