“I have an affection for a great city. I feel safe in the neighborhood of man, and enjoy the sweet security of the streets." -Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

A Renewed Love


You know, Mississippi often gets a bad rap. Lets admit it, normally when you think about "Mississippi" the thoughts are not the best: a troubled past, poor education, and economic disparity. I often find myself drifting back into those types of thoughts about this wonderful state. I wonder "Who would want to live in Mississippi?" or "Why would someone choose to move there?" Well, a few weeks ago I had the privilege to get my thoughts straight about this place once more. I went to Oxford, Mississippi: Home to the Ole Miss Rebels, wonderful music, adorable shops, great folk art, the best bakery in the world (Bottletree), and Camp Lake Stephens. I mean where else in the world can you eat lox, listen to music in an old grocery store, see an SEC football game, learn about the Southern literature greats, and buy an adorable Michael Kors jacket (on sale, nonetheless). You guessed it; Mississippi. I lived in Mississippi one summer while I worked at Camp Lake Stephens. It was there that I first realized how interesting of a place this was and how much I had under-appreciated it through the years. This time, I traveled with a group of high school seniors to Oxford on a church bus for eight hours and it was well worth the drive. We had a great time staying at Camp Lake Stephens and doing service projects on some trails for summer camp. In the evenings there were fun activities planned: Memphis BBQ, a Rebels baseball game, and dinner at Old Venice... we even managed time for ice cream each night! YUM! Mississippi is a wonderful state that has a special place in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment